PORTMEIRION HISTORY

- The Place and its Past -

A look at more than a century of the resort's past and its early years, using old pictures and maps, together with a thousand year historical account.

HISTORY 2 PAGE

backpic.gif (1415 bytes)

Launched 10/12/02, updated 12/02/08. Best viewed in Internet Explorer 6, medium text, 1024 x 768.


Harlech.jpg (13662 bytes)


AberIa1.jpg (16710 bytes)

A century old painting of Harlech castle with Aber Iā (sometimes written 'Aberia') just visible across the water. It was unlikely that the castle could be seen from across the water, owing to the land mass in between.

This oldest view of the 19th century mansion also shows the foundry cottage further along the coast. The old views from each side of the river estuary can be visualised from this postcard and the Harlech painting alongside it.



AberIa3.jpg (17948 bytes)



WatchHs1.jpg (16011 bytes)

Another view, from above the mansion on the rock where Watch House would later be built.

Later view from above Watch House, showing the 'Amis Reunis' boat moored near hotel (see also next page).


AberIa4.jpg (17060 bytes)


Habour.jpg (14666 bytes)

The 'moored' boat is a fake, still there today.

Portmeirion's buildings soon changed the coastline.


Hotel2.jpg (17866 bytes)


Hotel1.jpg (15042 bytes)

The hotel frontage, minus the Observatory Tower.

The rear dovecote structure is seen in both photos.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO HISTORY PAGE 3

HISTORY MAIN
HOMEPAGE WEBLINKS

 


Buildings and Structures old names - see History 3 to 10 pages (the word 'Motte' has been added).


directmap4.jpg (79792 bytes)

           

l>